This is Golf Leap’s take on the best cheap golf shoes for both men and women.
Do golf shoes make a difference?
Absolutely. Luckily the major golf shoe makers include models designed to match any budget. Plus, when you order golf clubs and golf shoes online, you save yourself time and money.
SNEAK PEEK at our Number One Award Winners: Men’s Best Cheap Golf Shoes and Women’s Best Cheap Golf Shoes.
Even though you may not quite be ready for prime time, you have the exact same reasons to wear good golf shoes, just like the pros. There are three jobs for your golf shoes, even if they are budget shoes.
- They need to be comfortable to walk in.
- They need to support the center of your foot for the pivoting and weight transfer during the shot.
- They also need to keep you steady on your feet on slippery surfaces.
Ready to get yourself some golf shoes? As a golf instructor, I always tell my students to “buy the best equipment you can afford.” This is also important when you are choosing your golf shoes. Here’s the scoop.
Our Top 7 Picks
Best Cheap Golf Shoes For Men
- Adidas Men’s Tech Response Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Breathability)
- FootJoy Men’s FootJoy Original Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Traditional Spikes)
- PUMA Grip Fusion Pro 3.0 Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Spikeless Sole)
- Adidas Men’s S2g BOA Wide Spikeless Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Retractable Lace System)
- New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam Contend Golf Shoe (Winner: Best Waterproof Golf Shoe)
Best Cheap Golf Shoes For Women
- Adidas Women’s Summervent Spikeless Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Spikeless Sole)
- Adidas Women’s W Tech Response 2.0 Golf Shoe (Winner: Best Traditional Spikes)
What To Look For When Looking For An Affordable Golf Shoe
Before you buy your golf shoes online, scan these essential features to make the best choice.
- Comfort: Did you know you put in nearly 5 miles when you walk an 18-hole course? Golf shoes cushion and support your feet so you feel energized rather than exhausted at the end of your round.
- Stability: During your golf swing, it is essential for you to feel steady and not slip or slide as you pivot and swing the club. Advanced midsole design provides support and cushioning to ensure balance throughout the swing.
- Traction: Golf courses have lots of different ground conditions. Without the right shoes, you can slip and lose distance and accuracy with your shot. Whether you choose spikes or spikeless golf shoes, good traction makes for better golf and lower scores.
- Waterproof: Waterproof golf shoes tend to be standard in luxury golf shoes. Beginners can live without this extra unless you play in a rainy climate with swampy areas or early mornings in heavy dew. Don’t worry, we tracked down the best budget golf shoes with waterproof warranties. Check below:
- Breathability: Keeping your feet cool and comfortable can make all the difference, especially if you live in a hot climate. If this is important to you, lean toward the sneaker-style shoes described in our review.
Now scan through our award winners for the best match for your current golf goals.
5 Best Cheap Golf Shoes – Men’s
1. Adidas Men’s Tech Response Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Breathable Cheap Golf Shoe)
- Lightweight mesh upper for superior breathability so your feet stay cool and comfortable on steamy summer days
- Better than rubber in every way, the EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) outsole provides maximum shock absorption relieving stress on joints.
- Soft EVA insole cushions and stabilizes your feet for maximum support and all-day comfort
- 6-spike configuration with thintech technology for first-rate traction and impressive stability
- Tends to run about a size small
- Mesh upper can be difficult to clean. You may want to treat it with stain repellent before wearing
Of all golf shoe brands, Adidas leads the way with our number one choice for men. The Tech Response gets great traction on the fairway or in the rough. Thintech soft spikes grip securely allowing you to swing aggressively without losing your footing.
IS THIS YOUR SHOE?
This sneaker-style shoe is perfect for the beginner who sports a casual look on the golf course. It is available in three colors: white, grey, and black The Adidas fit, durability, and style you expect are not compromised in this comfortable and affordable shoe.
Add on the Waterproof Warranty and it is a slam dunk. If you are looking for foot-pampering comfort in an affordable Adidas golf shoe then this is your shoe.
2. FootJoy Men’s FootJoy Original Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Traditional Spikes)
- Waterproof Synthetic Leather upper gives this shoe sleek classic appeal
- Resilient EVA lightweight insoles with walking-on-clouds cushioning make you smile every time you lace up for play
- DuraMax rubber outsole – grips the turf in all conditions for outstanding performance and durability
- Limited Waterproof Warranty – The FootJoy synthetic upper includes 1-year waterproof comfort
- Some reviewers report the fit may be wider than expected
Did you know that Tiger Woods switched from his trusty Nikes to FootJoy before the Masters in 2022?
“I have very limited mobility now. With the rods and plates and screws that are in my leg, I needed something different, something that allowed me to be more stable and that’s what I’ve gone to.” Tiger announced in a pre-tournament press conference. (Yahoo Sports)
Currently, FootJoy ranks number one in golf shoe and glove sales in the United States. It is no wonder when it comes to tradition, Footjoy has deep roots. Believe it or not, FootJoy was founded in 1857 in Massachusetts.
Best of all, the synthetic leather waterproof upper includes a 1-year warranty.
This shoe is a great value. Another winner for FootJoy.
IS THIS YOUR SHOE?
If you are a student of the game and history matters, then FootJoy is your shoe. If you prefer the look and feel of a dress shoe style on the course, then the FootJoy Original is your shoe.
If you want to wear the same brand name shoe as Tiger, then FootJoy is your shoe.
3. PUMA Grip Fusion Pro 3.0 Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Cheap Spikeless Golf Shoe)
- Fit-Beds – lightweight insole that provides comfortable cushioning at budget pricing.
- Innovative spikeless design with strategically placed traction lugs for secure turf gripping throughout the swing
- FUSION FOAM- EVA foam and ultra-resilient rubber combine to keep your feet happy all 18 holes
- Puma offers an outstanding limited 1-year warranty on waterproof upper
- Some reviewers report leaking at seams in extremely wet conditions.
Nicely affordable this athletic-style golf shoe scores as the best cheap spikeless golf shoe for lightweight comfort without compromising traction. Fantastic for those early mornings when the turf is damp with dew.
IS THIS MY SHOE?
Did you know that the founders of Adidas and Puma were brothers? Rumor has it there was a lot of family drama along the way.
Lucky for us, all that brotherly rivalry still produces game-changing footwear. Both professional and amateur athletes continue to benefit as one company tries to outperform the other.
The waffle design spikeless soles provide power-generating traction, much-improved balance, and after-round comfort in the clubhouse.
If you are looking for a golf shoe that is great for walking with more stability than a sneaker style, this Puma is your shoe.
4. Adidas Men’s S2g BOA Wide Spikeless Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Cheap Retractable Lace System Golf Shoe)
- Lightweight textile upper for excellent breathability
- Spikeless outsole for durable grip on the course and post-round clubhouse comfort
- These shoes are environmentally conscious and made with Primegreen, a combination of high-performance recycled materials in at least 50% of the upper
- Designed with wide sizes in mind, the Knob Retractable Shoelaces create the feel of a custom fit with the turn of a dial
- Upper is not waterproof, only water resistant
Another outstanding budget-priced Adidas golf shoe built for comfort on the course and in the clubhouse. The BOA Fit System features a micro-adjustable dial instead of traditional shoe laces so you can dial into the perfect fit. Water-resistant upper and Traxion rubber outsole ensures excellent grip on wet grass. Special feature: 50% of the upper is recycled content; no virgin polyester
IS THIS MY SHOE?
Spikeless golf shoe design makes it possible to go from course to clubhouse to home without a change of shoes. Plus being environmentally aware by using recycled material uplifts Adidas’ social media footprint, so to speak.
If you have a hard time finding golf shoes that fit your foot, the BOA Fit System makes this your shoe. If you live in a dry climate where waterproofing is rarely needed, this is your shoe.
5. New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam Contend Golf Shoe (Winner: Best Cheap Waterproof Golf Shoe)
- Outstanding 2-Year Waterproof Warranty in an affordable golf shoe
- Smart rubber spikeless outsole designed for reliable stability and traction on the course and comfort as a casual shoe after play
- Fantastic arch support for hours of walking comfort
- Tends to run a size smaller than expected
An excellent walking shoe in disguise as a golf shoe. Plush cushioned support ensures proper alignment and stability throughout your round. Comfortable right out of the box. The two-year waterproof warranty makes New Balance Fresh Foam Contends the best waterproof golf shoes for the budget-conscious golfer.
IS THIS MY SHOE?
Did you know that outstanding Arch Support was the primary reason New Balance was founded in the first place? Ever since 1906, the company’s focus on producing specialized arch supports and orthopedic footwear is legendary.
This is the shoe for the beginner who insists on the comfortable support of a running shoe.
If you love wearing your favorite sneakers to play golf, this is your shoe.
2 Best Cheap Golf Shoes – Women’s
1. Adidas Women’s Summervent Spikeless Golf Shoes (Winner: Best Cheap Spikeless Golf Shoe)
- Seven trendy colors
- Mesh upper for superior breathability
- Rubber vented outsole with engineered traction lugs for all-terrain grip
- Environmentally Conscious with Primegreen, 50% of upper is recycled content; no virgin polyester
- May run a full size larger than expected
- Not suitable for rain or other wet conditions
This sneaker-style golf shoe is designed to keep you cool from the ground up. The durable outsole is vented to keep your feet cool and comfortable from the first tee to the 18th green. Cool mesh uppers make this shoe super breathable perfect for hot dry climate conditions
IS THIS MY SHOE?
You can always count on Adidas for the latest innovations in golf shoes. Having a vented outsole and mesh upper, this breathable sneaker-style shoe is super comfortable right out of the box.
The Summervent budget golf shoe is so affordable it is tempting to order several colors. Handy for playing in hot dry conditions. If you are a serious female beginner living where rain is rare, this is your shoe.
2. Adidas Women’s W Tech Response 2.0 Golf Shoe (Winner: Best Cheap Spiked Golf Shoe)
- Water Resistant Microfiber Faux Leather Upper keeps your feet dry and comfortable
- Supple foam insole provides ultra-light comfort and cushioning
- 6-spike thintech system for reliable ground-hugging traction
- Extra wide in the toe box for improved overall comfort
- Some customers report leaking in wet conditions
The Tech Response gives you the fit and feel of a sneaker combined with the stability of traditional golf spikes. Lightweight and breathable, these shoes are best for the committed female beginner who is serious about learning how to play better golf.
IS THIS MY SHOE?
If you are looking for classic lightweight golf shoes instead of sneaker-style spikeless shoes, you can’t go wrong with Adidas’ Tech Response. If you enjoy the feeling of lightweight cleats supporting you on the course, this is your shoe.
Golf Shoes Buying Guide
Spikes or Spikeless?
Almost no one I know goes back to spikeless golf shoes when they start using spikes. With spiked golf shoes, your core feels more powerful and you feel like you’re ready to rip at the golf ball. Not to mention safety. Remember what happened to Tony Finau’s ankle in the 2018 Masters? That’s right, many experts believed that his spikeless golf shoes were what caused his gruesome ankle injury. Here’s the video of Tony’s injury below, but please don’t watch it if you’re not able to handle dislocated ankles!
But there is a downside to spiked golf shoes, and that’s the spikes themselves. They suck to clean and you need to replace them every so often, so it’s going to be a minor maintenance cost that comes with spiked golf shoes.
Spikeless golf shoes however are great for casual golfers hitting the range more often than the course. They’re also slightly comfortable to walk with in my opinion. I used spikeless golf shoes for 3 to 4 years and they never really gave me a problem but I too moved on to spiked golf shoes eventually.
So which should you get? You guessed it, it depends! Personally, I’ll get a budget-friendly spikeless golf shoe for when I hit the range and a spiked golf shoe for when I play a the golf course.
Waterproof vs Breathable
Usually, I’d prefer breathable golf shoes because my feet get a tiny bit stinky without good ventilation. However, I also carry a pair of waterproof golf shoes just in case I am playing a round where it rained the day before or it is forecasted to have a slight drizzle after.
If you’re only looking to get one pair of golf shoes and play more at the golf course, then I’d get the waterproof golf shoes.
Shoelace or Knob Retractable Shoelace
Knob retractable shoelaces are awesome, efficient, and not the mention sexy, and for the first one to two years, you’re likely not to face any problems. However, after constant use, the knob may start to loosen. Fortunately, this tends to occur right when it’s time to change golf shoes (~ 2 years).
However, if you’re looking for something extremely affordable and not looking for those slight perks, then a traditional shoelace golf shoe is your best bet.
FAQ: Best Cheap Golf Shoes
What’s the difference between an expensive golf shoe and a budget golf shoe?
As a beginner, don’t shy away from cheaper shoes. Sticking with a name brand in a less expensive style is your best action plan when choosing golf shoes.
When it comes to the basics, traction, stability, and comfort, both pricey and cheap shoes get the job done. Cheaper shoes may wear out more quickly. Budget shoes can be less breathable due to using cheaper materials.
You won’t know which features are important to you until you get out on the course and use them.
Can I wear my golf shoes off the golf course?
Yes and no. Many golf shoes are spikeless and have a waffle-patterned outsole. Traction is still excellent with spineless shoes. These comfortable shoes can be worn indoors without harming floors.
Some spikeless shoes are constructed with details making them excellent walking shoes for trail walking or walking around the neighborhood. I wore out my fabulous Foot Joy spikeless golf shoes hiking the trails near my home with my pups.
Metal cleats are never allowed indoors in any situation. Soft spikes are made of plastic and can be worn inside technically but they can be slippery on hard surfaces so take care.
How do I maintain my golf shoes?
It is important to clean your golf shoes after use. This will make them last longer and perform best on the course.
Watch for shoe-cleaning tools during your round. Many courses have stiff brushes on the tees near the ball washer. Take the time to scrape your shoes on these handy devices to save yourself time later.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the best way to care for your shoes. Generally, besides a stiff brush, you can clean the surface of your shoes with gentle detergent.
Do I need more than one pair of golf shoes?
In a word, yes. Different conditions can change your requirements. You can plan on at least three pairs in your closet.
- One pair for waterproof protection to keep your feet dry and comfy during the round.
- One pair for hot summer rounds because you get more breathability when the shoe is not waterproof.
- One of your spare pairs may simply be for fun. Rotating your golf shoes will increase the life of all of your shoes.
The Verdict: Best Cheap Golf Shoes
Our Number One Award Winners: Men’s Best Cheap Golf Shoes and Women’s Best Cheap Golf Shoes
As you can see from this review, cheap golf shoes are a good deal for lots of reasons;
- Who doesn’t like to save money?
- You don’t have to compromise high-end design advantages in affordable golf shoes
- Past season or discontinued styles make for great cheap show finds
- Cheap golf shoes make it possible to have a closet full of styles for every occasion
- Buying golf shoes online protects your purchase to make sure you are satisfied
The main thing you want to remember when you are shopping for golf shoes online is your level of commitment. As a beginner, how much time will you be practicing? How many rounds will you play?
Do you live in a year-round climate? Does summer come in June and leave in August? The more you play, the more you may need to pay to get the durability of more expensive shoes.
As a beginner, getting the best cheap golf shoes you can afford is a smart investment. You can always upgrade when you are ready for prime time, plus you will have more money for greens fees!
Thanks for letting us guide you through the maze of affordable golf footwear. Here are a couple of more articles that you may be interested in:
- Our Review of the 7 Straightest Golf Balls
- 7 Best Driver For Beginners & High Handicappers
- Understanding Your Golf Club Distances
May the course be with you.